Breakfast in bed.
Paleo Almond Flour Pancakes
Yield: 8 pancakes
- 16 ounces (1 bottle) 100% pure POM Wonderful pomegranate juice
- 1-3/4 cups almond meal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup almond milk
- 1 cup crushed, raw, unsalted cashews
- Pomegranate seeds from 1 pomegranate
- Pour pomegranate juice into a small sauce pan and bring to a gentle boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and allow juice to reduce by half.
- While syrup is reducing, in a mixing bowl, whisk the eggs then add the almond milk and vanilla extract and mix.
- Add the almond flour, salt and baking powder And mix until smooth.
- Heat a large skillet just above medium heat and add just enough oil to lightly coat the pan.
- When ready, remove syrup from heat, allow it to cool slightly
- Pour batter in heart shapes onto the skillet.
- Cook until the sides of the pancakes firm up and a bubble or two escapes from the top.
- Flip, cook an additional 45 seconds to 1 minute then repeat with remaining batter.
- Serve pancakes with syrup and top with pomegranate seeds and crushed cashews
Paleo Banana Spice Muffins
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1/4 c. flaxseed meal
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
- 2/3 cups chopped walnuts
- 3 over ripe bananas (skins almost black), mashed
- 1 T. vanilla
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 2 T. honey
- 3 T. coconut oil (melted)
- 2 T. natural almond butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix dry ingredients
- In separate bowl mix wet ingredients
- Combine wet ingredients into dry ingredients and stir until combined.
- Spoon batter into muffin cups.
- Bake 20 minutes, or until the toothpick test shows they are done.
- Makes 1 dozen muffins.
Dinner for the kids:
Paleo Pizza Bites
Makes about 24 Cauliflower Pizza Bites
- 1 Head Cauliflower
- 24 slices of turkey pepperoni cut into heart shapes
- 1/4 Cup Egg Whites
- 1 Cup 1% Cottage Cheese (drained)
- 1 Tsp Oregano
- 2 Tsp Parsley
- 1/4 Tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 Tbsp Almond Oil
- 1 Tbsp Frank’s Hot Sauce
- Muir Glen Organic Pizza Sauce (for dipping)
- Pre-heat your oven to 450 F.
- Line a pizza pan with parchment paper
- Wash, and dry your cauliflower and cut down into florets
- Pulse your cauliflower in a food processer until the pieces are about the size of rice.
- In a hot pan, stir fry the “cauliflower rice” until the cauliflower is slightly translucent (about 6-8 minutes). Place in a bowl and let cool.
- Place all other ingredients (except the pizza sauce - you won't need this until serving time) in the food processor and blend until smooth.
- In a bowl combine both the “cauliflower rice” and blended ingredients. Mix completely.
- Evenly spoon mixture onto parchment paper. Press pizza dough down evenly and firmly.
- Add the peperoni hearts pressing them firmly into the dough.
- Place in your oven and bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Remove the pizza bites from the oven and let set until cool (If you take them off the parchment paper while they are too hot they will break).
- Once cool remove and place on a cooling rack.
- If they still need a bit more browning, place the cooling rack on a cookie tray under the broiler for a few minutes to crisp/brown up the bottom of them.
- Serve with pizza sauce for dipping. Or as an alternative you can refrigerate at this point for re-heating the following day.
- When you are ready to serve place them at a diagonal on a Panini press. This will warm and crisp them and give them the great grill marks.
- Serve with organic pizza sauce.
And after we get the kids to bed we are going to give these Alaskan King Crab Legs a try!